Our little man turned one month old last week!
I fully intend to do a post sometime on the whole story of Isaac's arrival. I really need to document it somewhere! But, for now, I'll make it brief.
My water broke at about 2:22(ish) a.m. on October 21st. After a momentary panic attack and some frantic packing (finishing the hospital bag was on my to-do list for that day!) we headed to the hospital, calling our families on the way. My labor didn't progress after a few hours, so they started me on pitocin. I opted for the epidural pretty early. I figured, that was the whole point of getting one, so you don't have to suffer through labor, right? Around lunch time, I started feeling really cold. At the time, I thought I was simply starting to feel how cold the room was. The entire family had been complaining about how cold it was all morning. But, in reality, I was developing a fever. It's all kind of a blur to me now, but at some point my doctor came in and told us she thought it was time to do a c-section. She was concerned about my fever, and the fact that I still had not progressed past 4 cm. In what seemed like 10 min, I was on the operating table. (BTW, I was terrified of having to have a c-section, and had convinced myself that there was no way it would happen.) At 4:11 p.m. my life changed forever. Out came our son, with the cord wrapped around his neck twice and in a true knot. Boy was NOT coming out vaginally!
He weighed in at 7 lbs, 4 oz and 19.5 inches long. We named him Jon Isaac after his dad, but will call him Isaac.
The first week was spent in the hospital, where Isaac received antibiotics in the NICU for an infection he contracted during labor. (Same infection that gave me the fever.) It was a long week, but it was full of visits from family and friends.
Since then we've been getting used to our new normal. The first night home he slept 6 hours. Since then, it's varied anywhere from 4-6 hour stretches. He's pretty good at sleeping, except he likes to make crazy noises that keep me up all night sometimes.
Jon has been an amazing dad! I knew he would be, but he's been even better than I could have hoped. In many ways, I think he's by far the better parent. He's a natural, what can I say!?
The grandparents are all smitten, of course. It's so fun to see them all ooh and aah over him.
As of yesterday, 11/27, Isaac weighs 11 lbs! I cannot believe how fast he's growing!
We've started seeing little smiles here and there, and I cannot wait for more.
We are completely, 100%, crazy in love. Being a mama is by far the greatest thing I've ever experienced, and I'm enjoying every second!
Happy 1 month birthday little man!


can't believe how much he has changed already! happy 1 month little man! xoxoxo
ReplyDelete