I came across this collection via this blog. I read through all of the letters from bloggers to their 20 year old selves, and cried. I was inspired and feel like I have something to say to 20 year old Jen, so here goes...
Dear 20 year old Jen,
Oh boy, where to I begin!? We just turned 30, and I've been thinking about you alot. It seems like forever since I was you. I have some things to tell you, and some of it's not going to be fun, but hear me out.
First of all, you know that guy you just met? Yeah, the one from the baseball game. That hunch you had about needing to know him, you were right! Don't stress over it though. You'll see him again. Don't be afraid to call him either. Oh, and yes, leave a message, cause they do have that new caller ID thing! Make sure you don't take out what you-know-who did on this one. He doesn't deserve that, cause he's a wonderful guy, and here in just a few years you're gonna face something tremendously hard together. I can't tell you what it is, because you would totally freak out. You'll know it when it happens, and just remember, stick it out. Take it one day at a time, and do what comes naturally. You're a great nurturer, and it will all work out. Before you are 30, it will be securely in your past.
Deal with your demons now. Seriously, you will be so much happier later if you do. Figure out who you're really mad at and let it go. I know you really don't know, but you'll figure it out. Quit blaming yourself. Give it to God. Trust me, it really works.
Stop worrying about what other people think! You are pretty awesome, and beautiful, and skinny! Seriously, why can't you see that!? Oh, it might be beneficial for you to start exercising...maybe try and fall in love with running. I know, you're laughing, but really you will love it at one point...and then you won't. But, maybe if you start now, you could save us both alot of grief later!
Stop taking everything so seriously. And stop worrying about stupid stuff! No one is paying as much attention to any of that as you think. And, if they are, then they're superficial jerks who you don't want to be friends with anyway!
Have Grandma teach you to crochet and knit. You'll thank me later.
Spend more time with your sisters. They are gonna grow up way faster than you can even imagine!
Mostly though, just keep doing what you're doing. You're not gonna screw anything up. Have fun and go out more! You're young, go blow off some steam!
See you in 10 years!
30 year old Jen
I highly reccomend checking out Cassie's blog. Truely inspirational!
What would you say to your 20 year old self? {make sure if you write your own letter that you credit the idea back to Cassie, and let her know so she can publish it!}
oh my, i feel like we just had this conversation the other night {oh how i love saying that...not often enough we get to have face to face conversations!} loves it...oh how i wish i could teach my 20 year old self a few things...we would be a lot happier and a lot more free ;)
ReplyDeleteaww I love the letter. After reading it Jen, I stopped and thought where was I in life at age 20? so young and unexperienced in life..uffff a few disappointments here and there many happy moments as well.
ReplyDeletethanks for the inspiration, I will be sure to check out cassie's blog.
oh my. i just heard about this from meg fee's blog, and here are those letters again on yours! such a wonderful idea. i'm 21 now and i suppose it'd to be some good to read cassie's blog, huh? thanks jen! xo.
ReplyDelete