Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend re-cap...

Good morning!  Hope you all had a great weekend!  Ours was busy!  {sorry I never got back on friday with my to-do list!  It wouldn't have mattered much, as I didn't get to most of it anyway.} Saturday was spent running errands and Sunday was packed with yard work.

We started with planting a new tree.  Late last summer we had a storm that wiped out one of our trees.  {we've since learned that there is a problem with ash borers in our neighborhood, so they were the real culprit, and we've treated our other ashes so they don't meet the same fate}  

our poor little stump
I could not get over how much dirt came out of that hole!  I thought it might be a couple of buckets, but I think by the time it was all said and done, there were 6 buckets of soil and mulch!  Good thing I have a strong, hard working husband, because there is no way I could have done that myself in less than a week.  I also kept thinking about our grandparents who used to farm their land without all the modern machinery, and what hard work that must have been.
we finally go the stump loose...
and in went the new little tree!
He's an Adam's Crabapple, and we can't wait for him to grow big and strong and bring beautiful flowers to our yard every spring!  ;)
{he's a little pathetic looking right now, as he's quite tiny compared to the other trees on the block, but we love him anyway.}

We also de-thatched our yard yesterday....by hand.  It was serious work, and I am sore today!  We spent at least 6 hours working on the yard yesterday.  Hard, hard work, but so satisfying at the same time!  We slept well last night!

What did you guys do?

3 comments:

  1. Irv worked his butt off in the yard and I worked my butt off in my workshop. It was a very productive weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH yes, you really do get a good nights sleep when you have done a little yard work. I love that feeling and all of the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay baby tree! We did a pile of yardwork too, getting ready to lay sod :)

    ReplyDelete