On Sunday, Jon showed me a listing for an old victorian home in town that's for sale as a fixer-upper. {One of his favorite things to do is remodel homes and resell them.} We couldn't picture the area it was in, and sort of thought it might be a big old home in a neighborhood full of teeny houses. So, we decided to go check it out.
The listing says it was built in 1870. {which is super old for this area.} It definitely needs some work, but boy it must have been beautiful in it's day! I, of course, couldn't help but wonder if it's haunted. I mean, look at it....it's straight out of a movie.
You know the one... Jon and I would buy it, and move into the apartment above the garage {Which there actually is, by the way.} It would start out all happy and hopeful. We'd start removing all the debris, and find some old box full of pictures. We'd store it somewhere safe. As we went along remodeling, strange things would start happening. {Probably to me, cause the weird stuff always happens to the chick.} I'd ask Jon vague questions, never really letting on that I was scared, until something really crazy happened. Then he'd tell me I was imagining things, and we'd have a big fight. It wouldn't be until Jon found me possessed in the widow's watch that he'd fully understand the complexities of the situation. Then he'd go find that box and realize I look just like the lady in mourning. Then there'd be some closure that this crazy, mourning ghost would need and we'd help set her free. It would end up all peaceful, with us and our family....and that widow's picture framed on the wall. Am I right!?
Anyway, I couldn't help but try to imagine what it must have looked like {perhaps sort of like this?}, and the people that must have lived there. I pictured ladies in long dresses and kids running around in white linen. The man of the house for sure had a mustache. Oh, and for the record, there are quite a few old homes in the area. A fun little pocket that we never knew existed! {For those of you in the KC area, it's just west of the Johnson County courthouse.}
Are there lots of old homes where you live? How old is the place where you live?
There are old houses around us, but it seems like most are closer to downtown, with the exception of old farmhouses. {Jon's parent's house was built in 1910.} Our house is only 5 years old.




I think you should buy it! And if it's haunted, then you can turn it into a business and charge admission.
ReplyDeleteWe live in a condo that was built in the 70s and remodeled in 2007. A few blocks over is our town's historic district with a lot of houses ranging from the Victorian era to the 1940s. We're hoping to leave the condo and buy a little Cape Cod in the next year or so.
Hahaha that mini-interlude about your would-be ghost adventures was hilarious! I'm the kind of person that that happens to too! If you guys do decide to move forward, I'll hope that it's a friendly ghost haunting the house that won't get you into too much trouble ;)
ReplyDeletePlease, please buy that house so you can take pictures of every single square inch of it so you can post them to the internet and we can all live vicariously through you!! Okay? OKAY? THANK YOU!! ;o)
ReplyDelete"because stuff always happens to the chick..." i love your story because you are SO right. thats exactly what would have happened! i just love that house though.. and it has SO MUCH POTENTIAL! what a gorgeous house it must've been back in the day!
ReplyDeleteLoved the short horror movie story, lol, sooo true. This house has so much character. I definitely think it could be something absolutley beautiful(and I'm sure it was at one point too). =)
ReplyDeletewww.sroskillydesigns.blogspot.com
I'll bet it's haunted!! What a spooky place!! But yes, beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have anything like that here.
Adelaide first houses are dated 1836 but they are very rare.
Most houses are much younger and even the one that are old got a relatively new design. I love it that way though, I love feeling I'm living a 'new' place!