Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Not your ordinary evergreen...

via on Pinterest

via on Pinterest

via on Pinterest

via on Pinterest

Do you know the symbolism behind the wreath?

In ancient Greece, they were made of laurels and worn by gods, royalty, Olympians and artists.

In Christian culture, it has become a symbol of Advent, the preparation for the coming of Christ into the world.  They're traditionally made from evergreens to represent the everlasting life given through Jesus.  The circular shape represents God because it has no beginning and no end.

This classic Christmas decoration can be found in all kinds of colorful forms today.  I happen to have a traditional evergreen wreath on my door with a big red bow, but I absolutely love the bright colors found in these.  I'm thinking I must expand my wreath collection next year! 

Do you have a wreath?  Does it hang on your outside door?  Inside?  What does it look like?

5 comments:

  1. These are awesome wreaths!

    Merry CHRISTmas!

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have one... and shame on me I haven't put it up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pom pom one!! We have 2 very ugly blue tinsel wreathes - one on each door :) I will have to work on that for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them! Beautiful work! I don't have a wreath for this year. I did not have enough time to make one. But next year I will do this for sure.

    Merry Christmas Jen!
    Lolo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Jen! I didn't know the history of the wreath so it was a great read!

    Have a lovely Xmas and happy holidays dear! xx

    ReplyDelete