Friday, I went to this little fast food mexican place for lunch with my dad and Linda. The place has been there forever, and upon entering we were greeted by the lady behind the counter, who I swear I remember from when I was a kid. She was probably a teenager working there then, and has obviously made a career of it. From here on out, we'll call her "Taco Via".
While I placed my order, Taco Via stared at my belly. While slightly awkward, this is something I've grown increasingly accustomed to in the last few weeks. Then she asks,
Taco Via: "When are you due?"
Me: "November 6th."
Taco Via: "Wow, you're really big. That looks like it could pop any time."
Me: "Well, sometimes it feels like it could pop."
Taco Via: "Sometimes when I tell people they're big, they say it's cause there are twins in there."
Me: "There's only one in here!"
Riiiiiiight. Now, you might be thinking that was bad. And, quite frankly, it was. Luckily, I was in a good mood and not about to let Taco Via make me feel bad about myself.
We went about our way, and ate our lunch. At some point, I got up to get a refill on my drink. Taco Via was now by the drink station doing whatever Taco Via's do between customers. She then engages me in conversation yet again:
Taco Via: "So, is this your first?"
Me: "Yes."
Taco Via: "Cause people who are due when you said you are are NOT that big."
Me: "Well, we're all different!"....awkwardly smiling and thinking, is anyone else catching this?!?
Taco Via: "Sometimes if it's their second or third baby they might be, cause they haven't lost all the weight from the first one."
Me: "....., yeah?"
And then, I honestly can't remember if anything else was said. I looked up at a woman sitting in a booth nearby who's eyes were the size of saucers. She quickly looked away, and I made my way back to our table. My dad immediately told me not to pay any attention to her, that she's crazy.
By the grace of God, I was in just the right mood that afternoon, that I didn't feel hurt by any of this. I mean, really, it was so absurd that I could only laugh. It was as though she was reading straight out of the "What Not to Say to a Pregnant Woman Handbook". I'm not sure you could have scripted it to be worse.
That being said, dad, Linda and I had fun coming up with all the things I could have said in response.
For instance:
"Oh, and how far along are you?"
or
"How many babies have you had, cause I can tell you haven't lost all the weight yourself" {Taco Via is not a lean woman.}
or
{while smiling nicely} "You're so lucky I'm not kicking your ass right now."
I think the only thing that could have made it worse is if she'd tried to go in for a belly feel. That is probably where I would have lost it.
What would you have said to Taco Via?
I think this happens more often then not. I had a lady ask me if I was having twins, because I was so big. For the record, I was not big, normal size growth at that period. In fact my doctor asked if I had been on a diet because I wasn't gaining like he wanted. Needless to say I think she, and most people, was just miserable with her own life and feels some sort of comfort from making people feel bad. It's amazing how when your pregnant strangers feel the need to all of a sudden feel a connection with you and start a conversation. Don't even get me started on the awkward stomach touch which then proceeds the please don't touch me, I don't know you. I have to tell people almost daily, please do not touch my son, I don't know you or your hygiene beliefs. Don't sweat it though...unless you look like Kate from JoN and Kate plus eight when she had her 6, I think you will be just fine.
ReplyDeleteI like the kicking ass comment. :) Of course that would have needed to be videotaped...
ReplyDeletePeople are amazing, what they think is appropriate. She's lucky you're such an upstanding gal.
And, BTW, you look fantastic!
Hahahahaha Taco Via.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you look just gorgeous, and for real - we ARE all different! Sheesh. Good on ya for laughing about this, it was really inappropriate of her. Though I find sometimes old ladies forget their manners when they think they are authorities on everyone's babies.
Congrats again, I'm sure you look radiant :) Too bad you were secretly not on Boiling Point - then you could've at least scored some cash! Lol
Remember you were at Taco Via...she probably isn't the brightest of the bunch. You look great and were definitely nicer than I would have been I probably would have just ignored her and walked away. It is true about the older people comment above. They lose all sense of appropriateness I think. I had patients tell me I looked like I was still pregnant after my maternity leave and others that said oh you look good I can't believe my wife never lost her baby weight. I didn't know how to respond to that one.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, you look great--all radiance and glowing and peaceful (even if you don't feel it). Secondly, I like to think of the big-ness coming from being so healthy. I was quite big with both of mine (they were each 8 and 9 pound babies), but they were crazy healthy, and still are. So be proud of that round belly. You're growing a happy little human in there.
ReplyDeleteI probably would have said.. "I been told not to tell too many people but I'm a surrogate for an alien and that's why I look a little bigger than usual." and leave it at that. I think when I person asks you an absurd question you should respond with an absurd answer.
ReplyDeleteoh Jen! you're lucky you are so fabulous and beautiful (inside and out) and can let this roll off! BTW, ben and i walked into a Mexican restaurant on friday night and there was a high school girl that looked at my giant baby belly, gasped, and said, "oh my!" loud enough for all to hear! maybe there's something about tex mex...
ReplyDelete