Photo by Reddogiedog on Flickr.
{I realize I should have posted a pic of me from high school, but I'll have to dig one up, and I'm not where I can do that right now. I'll share later! So instead I'll share this fun vintage High School class photo from the 1930's.}
Ashley recently did a post about her high school experience. It got me thinking about how different I am than the girl I was back then. At least, I think I'm different.
In high school, I was shy. I'm still shy, but I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin! Mostly, I remember carrying around a huge sense of sadness. I don't think it really left me til last summer. I was always really worried about what other people thought of me. As I've gotten older, I've realized that it really, really doesn't matter what other people think. It's not their life, and quite frankly, what the heck do they know?
Anyway, in high school, I was smart. {I say, I was smart, cause I haven't retained much!} I was on honor roll, and took honors math and science classes. I was in AP Calculus as a senior, and it got me out of math entirely in college. Can you believe that!? I struggle with basic addition and subtraction these days. Oh, and I finally admitted to my husband last year, that I never really learned my 9's in my times tables. I had the chicken pox in 3rd grade for the two weeks that we learned the 9's, and I've struggled with them ever since. It was my little secret, til I told him. {And, I guess now the whole world knows.}
Anyway, I was smart, despite my issues with 9's. I graduated with a 4.2 or something like that.
My freshman year, I tried out for cheerleading. I didn't make it, and I was devastated. So, instead, I decided to attempt to be an athlete for the first time in my life. {I never played sports as a kid, cause I didn't like the uniforms...seriously, I was such a priss.} I tried out for volleyball, and actually really liked it! Then I played basketball for the first time ever. I had no idea what I was doing! I remember at the first practice, traveling, and double dribbling and the coach was like, WTF!? It was embarrassing, but I gave it my all. Luckily for me, not so luckily for our team, no one was very good. We finished the season at 2-17. One of our wins was a forfiet, and the other was against a team who fouled out all but 3 of their players, so we were playing 5 on 3. We were so excited to win a game, though! I ran track that year too, and "dragged my wagon" with my friend, April. Oh, good times.
Sophomore year, I made the drill team, which I continued through the rest of high school. I loved it, and would give anything to have that to keep me in shape now. Zumba's the closest thing I've found to it as an adult. {I need to go to Zumba more!}
Anyway, those are the things I did in high school, but they're not really who I was. I struggle to really define who I was. I thought I was a total dork, but looking back, I know I wasn't. I certainly was nowhere close to the most popular girl in school, but I think I was generally liked. I realize now, that most everyone around me was probably more worried about themselves then I ever imagined. All that teen angst.
I wore Doc Martins, Birkenstocks and Abercrombie sweaters.
I had a group of girlfriends. April, Kathy and Lauren. We were great friends, and would cruise for boys in Jeeps on the weekends. Only problem was that when we'd get said boy's attention, we didn't know what to do. We were so innocent, but we sure had fun! Lots of trips to Sonic and Blockbuster.
I did have a boyfriend, but that's a whole other story.
What about you? What were you like in high school?
9s are simple, theres a trick to it:
ReplyDelete09
18
27
36
45
54
63
72
81
90
the left column counts up while the right column counts down... my brain works weird though, maybe thats why this always made so much sense to me ;)