Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Arrowhead collection...





I’m very excited to share this collection with you today.  You know how I love collections, and this one’s extra special because it belongs to us! 

My mother-in-law grew up on a farm in southern Illinois.  Her brother still owns the property and has been farming it his entire life.  Every year when he plows the fields he turns up a ton of Indian arrowheads.  He literally has a collection of hundreds and hundreds of them.  We think the land had to have been either a hunting ground or battleground at one point. 

This summer, my mother-in-law brought us back a whole box full of these beautiful artifacts.  Saturday, we finally figured out a way to display them all.  I was saving this shadow box for a special project,  but I really love the way this turned out, so I’ll just have to find another one! 

Aren’t they incredible?  I love holding them in my hand and imagining the energy that went into making each and every one of them.  I wonder how old they are, and how they were used.  Wouldn’t I love to hear the story of what each of them has seen.

Do you own any “found” collections?

9 comments:

  1. Wow!! That looks really great! You know I bet it had to be a battlefield if there are that many there. So interesting! I think that collection was worthy of giving up the shadow box for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, and what a nice way to display them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....do I know you? I grew up in Illinois around Peoria. We still have the family farm and my dad use to walk the corn fields after harvest looking for arrowheads.
    LOVE your collection. Image the history behind each one.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! that's so neat. Have you ever considered having them appraised? I can only imagine that they are quite valuable.
    I like how you chose to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some arrowheads too, but not that many. Of course I live in Oklahoma :-)


    <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo Cool ! Something historical and found on family land - my kids would freak out if they found an arrow head....we just find dog poo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that collection, jen! really amazing...would so love to know the history of each one!!! the past is so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. have several arrowheads myself' can anyone tell me why i have found such a diffrent variety of them all in a 60 '×60 square?

    ReplyDelete