Thursday, October 21, 2010
Bye-bye car!
Some of you know from twitter that I was selling a car this week. Well, last night, my little red sports car drove away and a chapter of my life closed.
{Yes, I am that lame that I asked my husband to take my picture with it before it left.}
I have driven that car for 10 years! I certainly got my money's worth out of it, and it's definitely time to move on.
It's funny, I remember the first time I drove out to my then boyfriend's house {well, his mother's house} in my new car. It was such an exciting time. New car, new boyfriend. So much has happened since then. Now, we're just an old married couple getting ready to buy a four door. Ahhh.
I'm not really one to wrap my identity up in what I drive, but it sort of feels good to turn a new chapter!
How often do you get a new car? Do you get sentimentally attached to your vehicle?
Labels:
random and funny
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
nice job! That was fast!! We actually sold my car two months ago before the Malaysia expedition and I'm hunting for a Jeep Wrangler right now... need the 4WD out here in the backwoods :) I def. get attached to my vehicles. We name them and everything :)
ReplyDeleteI live in Manhattan, and have for the past 21 yrs, so there has not been a car in my life since before I lived here. (You actually couldn't *give* me one; I've never missed having a car)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely get sentimental about ANYTHING I own, having moved all my life, and to this day I still have the ad I placed for my little Subaru, all yellow and aged. I loved that car, it went through SO much with me, so I get what you're feeling!
Every 5 years.. basically I pay one off and use it to buy the next one. I do get sentimentally attached to them though... I will be very sad when my Xterra goes.
ReplyDeleteI get a new car everytime my current one goes dead, every 5 years probably (I don't get new cars)
ReplyDeleteand YES, I get sentimental (as shown on my blog posting)
http://timkirkman.blogspot.com/2009/08/ode-to-red-hot.html
Awe. I can definitely see the sentimentality of it. You have the same "Teenage car" that my sister had, and she's all grown up now too. (in the ARMY!) and we are selling it because she is stationed in Hawaii. There is something about this that strikes me as more significant than selling a car. You know, like one of those moments where something that is over anyways feels "definitely over" .. its like the symbolic ending of your girl hood..
ReplyDeleteMy current car is the first new car that I have owned, and I hardly ever drive it now! As a result, I am not too attached to it. Both my car and husband's car have been paid off for a couple years. He telecommutes, so he doesn't drive much either.
ReplyDeleteI've never owned my own car but I used to drive my Mom's jeep to school and work and all over in highschool. It's a 98 and falling apart...they're planning to sell it soon and I'm very sad about it!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about getting rid of a car, there is something kind of sad, especially if you have had it for a long time and have memories of road trips, moving or anything else. But getting a new car is SUPER exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteI NEED a new car since we drove mine away with rice being tossed all over it the day we got married - almost 10 years ago!! I guess I get my money's worth too :)
ReplyDeleteWhat are you getting next?
LOL Our cars become part of the family.
ReplyDeleteSome you just love and others you tolerate! LOL
Enjoy writing the new chapter in your life.
<><
http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2010/10/friday-fun-in-search-of-smile_22.html
wow you kept your car in good shape!
ReplyDeleteMy first brand new car I drove it for over 10 years and I got attached to it so instead of selling it when Beli was born (we needed a bigger vehicle) I gave it to my Mom.