Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Recap 2010...

Saturday was a gorgeous {almost too warm} fall day.  Since we'd all ran the 5k that morning, we made a pit stop at Pizza Hut to fill our bellies before the big hunt, and the Louisburg Cider Mill for some cider donuts and drinks for later. 
Before we even pulled in the parking lot, we jumped out for the annual picture by the sign.  {makes mom happy!} 
Then, we hopped on the hay ride to take a peek at the pumpkins before setting out.  This year, we snagged a couple of wagons instead of wheel barrows.  AWESOME.  Wheels are what we've been missing our whole lives!
Thanks to a look back on my blog, we remembered to bring a knife this year, and it was a lifesaver!   We also remembered to bring water along, although we just brought one bottle to share, and really should have brought more.  It was hot! 
Mom spotted this siamese gourd.  We thought  it looked like they were kissing.



We tromped, and hunted all around the acres and acres of fields.  I have to say, Those three may have been cooler than me in their shorts, but I was really glad I had jeans on so I could make my way into the dense parts of the field.  After all, that's where the best pumpkins are!  {Plus, Lydia ended up with a rash on her legs from the vines.}
It didn't take long before we had loaded up both wagons.  One for mom {and the girl's carving pumpkins} 
 and one for me!
Good thing we brought the youngsters along to pull the wagons....{we love you Lydia and Madi!}
Once we were loaded up and back in the car we busted into the cooler for the refreshments we'd bought at the cider mill.  My sparkling apple-pomegranate cider really hit the spot! 
This stuff was good, and at only 70 calories, that's a treat I can love! 
I may or may not have told Jon that we should make a trip back down there to get more!  I want to drink this everyday.

Another wonderful visit to the pumpkin patch!  Next year we just have to remember...
Find the wagons, even if you have to stalk someone to their car...they are worth it!
Don't go out late the night before, or run a 5k that morning if possible.
Jean's are good.
Bring a water for everyone.
Don't forget that knife! 

p.s. I also enjoyed the old lady who kept asking me if my pumpkins were edible.  Then she explained to me how to cook one.  I kept trying to tell her that I had no intention of eating them.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. How fun! and congrats on the 5k run. I like the pumpkin twins. hehe.

    beautiful scenery.

    sounds like a good combo:apple and pomegranates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun! I took my kids on Sunday to our local pumpkin farm. They didn't have such a nice variety as you found though. Pretty pumpkins :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the second time today I have read about cider doughnuts...I have never heard of them before today.

    Love all the pumpkin photos! Looks like y'all had a really great time.

    ReplyDelete