1. A positive attitude makes all the difference in the world. I tend toward pessimism, but staying positive is a magical thing. It certainly makes things more fun!
2. I really can do anything I set my mind to. {cliche, I know} If you had told me 5 years ago that I'd run a half marathon, I would have laughed in your face! I hated running! 2 years ago, I would have said, maybe. In January, I was saying...I think I'll try. Two weeks ago, I thought, I can't do this. But then, I just decided to do it. Nike style.
3. It may not be easy, but it's worth it. {whatever it is} Really, what in life worth having is easy to get? The best things take work. I think God designed it that way on purpose so we won't take things for granted.
4. Things are easier than I think they'll be. In complete contrast to #3, things just aren't that complicated. I have a tendency to make things waaay more difficult than they need to be. I need to stop taking myself so seriously.
5. I'm just as deserving as the next gal. Why not me? I've spent alot of my life feeling like "I'm not the kind of person that gets that." Pshhhh, why not!?
6. Sometimes you just have to keep running. It might be all you can do to keep forward motion, but you just have to dig deep and find it.
7. Loosening my kung fu grip on life is a good thing. I should do that more. Not everything needs to be within my control. As a matter of fact, very few things are. The only thing firmly within my grasp is how I react. {see #1} God will take care of the rest. He always has.
I feel like I learned so much through the process of training and running my race on Saturday. I really wanted to make a record of the lessons I learned. I'm already finding ways to apply them to other areas of my life. I promise, I won't keep rambling about it, but I need to cement them somewhere so I don't ever forget them.
Thank you all so much for your support! I am so grateful for my blog friends. It blows my mind how modern technology has allowed for friendships to blossom across the globe. You guys are awesome, and I'm so glad to know you.
p.s. The above image was one of many mantras that helped me get through the race. That, and this one.
I loved reading this! and it is all so true! My goal is to do a half marathon in the next 2 years. That's quite an accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteGreat! Thanks so much, and good luck with your training! It really was an amazing experience.
ReplyDeleteLove this! I've just started running again using the Couch to 5K program. I'd started it a few years back but sprained my ankle very badly 3 weeks in and had to quit. If the weather ever shapes up around here, I'll be able to really get started.
ReplyDeleteI had to load your blog 3 times for the comment section to show. Strange.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't even run 1/4 a marathon. I am glad you ran 1/2 half.
I hope you'll swing by my blog and enter the new giveaway. It's for candy!
http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2011/04/win-it-wednesday-new-giveaway-and_20.html
<><
what wonderful words of inspiration! and they certainly apply to much more than just running a race. congratulations on finishing your half marathon!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
lesley
p.s. found you through the etsy blog team :)
How wonderful! Congrats on your half marathon! You're inspiring. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your half marathon. A big accomplishment for sure. Wonderful words to live by.
ReplyDelete