Monday, April 18, 2011

Take THAT bucket list!

Hi guys!  How are you!?  I missed you.

So, It has been a whole week since I've talked to you, and boy has it been a crazy one!  Sorry about not checking in Friday like I'd planned...we had some travel difficulties, missed connecting flights and didn't get home until Friday afternoon, instead of Thursday night. 

Anyway...what I really want to tell you about today is this:


I ran a half marathon on Saturday!!!

13.1 miles....I know! 

You might be thinking..."wait...did I know this was happening?  Has she mentioned this before?"

Nope.  I kept it pretty under wraps.  You see, I was scared of failure.  I was scared of announcing to the world that I was doing this and then not being able to do it, and feeling like a schmuck.

But, I did it, and I want to shout it from the rooftops! 

Honestly, guys, I'm so proud of myself.  I know you're not supposed to say that, but I just did.  I am so proud!  You see, I'm not a natural athlete, let alone runner.  I have to really work at even wanting to train.  This is not something I ever thought I would accomplish....but I did, and it feels so good! 

And you want to know the best part?  I maintained a positive attitude.  {which I believe is 90% of it.} You see, two weeks ago, I had a complete meltdown.  I sat on my couch and cried like a deranged child.  My poor husband had to talk me down from the ledge.  I was ready to throw in the towel, but, that day, I decided to take the pressure off myself, and I ran 12 miles.  I decided during those 12 miles in the cold and drizzle, that the only expectation was that I finish it.

I knew on Friday night that it was going to be good.  I could feel it in my bones.  I wasn't going to freak out that I had been traveling for 4 days, or that it was going to be 38 degrees at the start {after all, I had ran 12 in that cold}.  I wasn't going to worry about the other runners.  This wasn't about them anyway.  I was doing this for me, and I was going to enjoy every second.  And, that's exactly what I did. 

I had to fight back tears a few times.  The good kind of tears.  It was so incredible.....I want to do it again. 

I really want to encourage you guys to do something you've always wanted to do but thought you couldn't.  I promise you, if I can do this, anything is possible. 


What's the most physically challenging thing you've ever done?

10 comments:

  1. congratulations! i'll never forget the look on my husband's face when he crossed the finish line of his first half marathon. it was such a proud moment for him! how in the world do you look so fresh and fabulous after running that beast? girl, i'd be half dead and sweating:) have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm really, really happy for you. Your post exudes the pride you felt, and I feel it too. I don't do much, physically, never having needed it to maintain a 'shape' since I'm so thin, but now as I get older I regret not doing *something* so that I can be more 'stretchy'!! You've inspired me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Congrats! That's a tough run for sure!
    Hmm most physically taxing... that's hard for me to answer since I don't run, so probably any canoe trip I ever took. Carrying the canoe and all the packs over waterfalls can get pretty exhausting, and then you have to put it all back in the water and keep paddling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That is such an accomplishment! The furthest I've ever run is 6.5 miles. My biggest physical challenge to date has been giving birth without meds. (Not to mention the 9 months leading up to it and the 2 months of recovery...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! Proud of you and it is totally okay to say you are proud of yourself - you have a right to be!! The most challenging thing for me was SCUBA diving. Its not that it was all that hard - but I am a terrible swimmer and I was really really scared. A couple of times I had to make myself relax my breathing so I wouldn't run out of air in my tank. It was so amazing though and I have never regretted it and was also proud of myself for working through a big fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so proud of you. What an inspiration. I was talking to my sister that one day I would like to run a marathon and she said, 'sister, we can do anything we set our minds to", I would love to do it. But I'm also scared of failure. I'm thinking of starting small, 5km, etc..

    By the way, a friend of ours also ran the Boston marathon today.

    I'm scared of water, swimming. when I was in college I spent a month abroad in Australia and I went snorkeling with a friend. She wanted to go scuba diving and I would snorkel so when the boat took us to the middle of the ocean, I exclaimed, "is this where you are going scuba diving" my friend replied, 'yes' but this is also where YOU are going snorkeling. I freaked out! But I did it, (even if
    i was clutching the instructor's hand the whole time) It was the most terrifying experience in my life! worse than skydiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!!! How on earth did you RUN 13 miles!!!??? I can't even run 1 mile xD I can walk 5 though... once 10 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yaaaayyyyyy! i knew you could do it! i'm so proud of you! can't wait to talk and hear all about it! amazing, jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!! Your first halfie! I totally know how that feels - 2 weeks prior freaking out thinking "WHAT have I gotten myself into?!" Seriously though - congrats girl! :D

    ReplyDelete