I've been working lately on opening up to people. So much of the time, I try to put up a front of "everything's okay, nothing bothers me, it's all great".
Well, sometimes it's not.
I realized recently, that's what friends {and family} are for. God gave us friendships so that we can help bear eachothers burdens.
I think we, women especially, put a whole lot of pressure on ourselves. We don't want anyone to think we don't have our stuff together. We can't imagine that anyone else has doubts like we do. Surely, no one fights with their mothers like we do, or snaps at their husbands for no real reason. But the thing I realized is that we all do.
I am absolutely against "venting". I think it leads to a vicious cycle of negative energy and only makes things worse, because inevitably your well-meaning friends take your side and fuel the fire that may or may not be justified. {I'm not saying I never vent, but I try not to.} However, I think sharing can be quite powerful. I want my friends to know that I'm always here for them, and I'm guessing they want the same.
I struggle with worrying that opening up will make me look like a big-old-whiny-pants. I hate the thought of being that person who is always "woe is me". I'm hoping that as long as I'm genuine, and that I reciprocate, that it will be a good thing.
So, lately I've been allowing myself to share things that I probably would have kept to myself before. It makes me feel vulnerable, but at the same time, I'm finding that my friends really are as great as I thought they were. I have some really amazing people in my life.
I'd encourage you, if you don't already, to allow your friends to lift you up when you need it. Sounds simple, but sometimes it's hard. Oh, and tell your friends how much they mean to you. Sometimes just knowing that you're appreciated can make all the difference in the world! If there's someone who's been a great friend to you, tell them how much they mean to you!
Do you struggle with opening up to people?
I'd also like to say, that I absolutely adore the blogging community, and have "met" so many wonderful people through it. While I don't share everything online, you guys still lift me up every day. Thank you! That being said, if you don't have someone "in real life" to talk to, or even if you do but you still need an ear, I'm always here for you guys! Email me, we'll chat!
No comments:
Post a Comment