Friday, August 13, 2010

Time machine...

Isn't it weird how a certain sound can take you back to something from long, long ago?  I suppose this is true with the other senses as well. 

This morning while watering my flowers there was a little cricket chirping away in the grass.  My mind instantly went to this book.
Apparently, when my mind thinks of crickets, it automatically goes back to elementary school and Chester the cricket.  I remember being so in love with this little cricket and my imagination ran wild with this story.  I seem to remember him having a little bed made out of a matchbox...anyone back me up?  I really don't remember much about the story, but apparently it made enough of an impression on me that it still comes to mind.

I have other things even more random than this.  Like every time I put on eyeshadow, I think of this girl who I went to school with who's mother passed away in high school.  I think her mother's illness must have been around the same time as me learning how to apply eye make up.  I just always think of her, and wonder how she's doing today.  

Is that weird?  Does anyone else experience things like this?  If so, like what?

Do you remember the Cricket in Times Square?  What were your favorite books from school?
And......Have a great weekend!  I can't believe it's already Friday!  Huzzah!

p.s.  I made the poll more user-friendly yesterday, so poll away folks!  {top of right sidebar}


3 comments:

  1. was that third grade?! i remember that book too, & mrs. robbins, & the little matchbox bed ;) i loved that book, too!
    oh yes, smells, songs, places, sounds, they can all take me away to a memory...
    xo,
    a

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember this book but I like the cover.
    For me when I hear certain songs it takes me back to my high school years.strange but I can't think of any books I liked or remember from school.. My mind is blank maybe because I only read English in school, at home we were immersed in a spanish only mission. no english at home, (other than doing homework of course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this one book where this black kitten gets lost and tries to find its family. so weird! but i loved The BFG! LOVED IT! it's friday the 13th too!

    ReplyDelete