![]() |
| via |
Saturday morning, my mom and I decided to go to the farmer's market.
I drove, and just before pulling into the parking lot, the car started stuttering. Uh-oh. That can't be good. I thought, well, maybe it was user error, maybe I didn't let the clutch out smooth enough. But, that didn't really make sense...I mean, I've driven a stick almost every day for the last 14 years, it's not like I'm new at this. Oh well.
We went to the market, and it was lovely.
Then, we decided to hit up Savers and see what we could find.
So, we headed down the road and just when we got to the busiest intersection in all of Olathe, the sputtering returned. I was praying, please Lord, get us through this intersection! Well, the prayers were answered. We got through, and then everything seemed normal.
We went to Savers, and found some treasures.
Upon leaving, I stuck the key in the ignition....crank, crank....crank, crank....nothing. Uh-oh. What now?
Just as I'm pulling out my cell phone to call the hubs, Mom says. "Is the gauge always on empty when the car's off?"
O.M.G.
For reals.
I just ran out of gas.
Who runs out of gas? I mean seriously!
{See I knew immediately that this was what had happened, because it's almost happened before. The light on the dashboard that indicates low fuel is burnt out. Apparently, I need a light. Without it, I seem to think I can drive for weeks without filling up. Yeah, I guess I'm that girl.}
So, Mom and I froggered it accross the street to the gas station where I payed $12 for a gallon of gas in a can. Can you say "stupid tax"!?
Sure enough, as soon as we got the gas in the car, it fired right up. Funny how that works!
I went immediately to the gas station and filled up the tank. All the while, mom and I were laughing hysterically. She kept saying, "In all my life, I've never been in a vehicle that ran out of gas." Yeah, me neither, Mom. She called my little sister, who just got her restricted license. "Jen has a piece of advise for you...always make sure there's gas in the car." Her response was..."Um, yeah, that's kinda common sense."
I have a feeling I'm going to be the butt of many jokes for quite some time.
I'm just glad I wasn't by myself, and that it didn't die in the middle of that intersection. Talk about embarrassing! Holy cow.
And that folks, is the time I ran out of gas.
Anyone else ever ran out of gas? C'mon make me feel better....anyone, anyone?
Anyone else ever ran out of gas? C'mon make me feel better....anyone, anyone?

We have almost, hubby and I...
ReplyDeleteso the story is this>
we were driving from Colorado to Texas and we crossed the state of New Mexico, we weren't familiar with towns, etc, but apparently the route we chose was deserted. hardly any gas stations anywhere! the right light turned on alerting us we were low on gas. ah don't worry said hubby we will be fine, surely a town is just around the highway. I sure hope so.. and we are driving and driving and nothing. finally we see a sign of a town but it's 40 miles away! hubby said gas tank always has a reserve even when it says its on empty.really?? I was doubtful. so we are hoping, praying we can make it then a few miles before the town there is a HILL. we have to drive UPHILL??
we did make it but it was a close call. ever since I always take precaution to always have a full tank when we go on trips.
so you see it can happen to anyone. plus if your gauge is broken how can you really keep track of the gas tank?
Ohhh I did that and it was embarrassing haha. Our fuel gauge was broken so the tank was reading as half full when it was empty :(
ReplyDeletetoo funny! we almost did on our roadtrip from texas to colorado...same story...bunches of small towns with about 30+ miles between them and NOTHING else!!! we made it though...thank goodness...
ReplyDeletewhat did you find at savers?!?
I thought I taught you better than that. In 50 years of driving I don't think I ever ran out of gas. It cost just the same to run on the upper 1/2 of the tank.
ReplyDeleteDad
Dude savers is the best! My friend found an authentic polaroid camera for less than ten bucks!
ReplyDeletehaha. it happened to me in high school. i'm ashamed to say...a couple times actually. haha. but we lived out in the boonies and there was one gas station in our town that only had gas sometimes (like when it was cheaper? who knows, it was annoying) and the next closest gas station was 15 minutes away. i'd usually get pretty close and then have to walk down the street. how embarrassing...
ReplyDelete