Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Itty Bitty Light Switches...

via on Pinterest

The other day I saw this shop on Etsy.  Their tiny little custom homes got me thinking about my childhood fascination with doll houses.  I still love all the intricacies of them.  The tiny shingles, the wall paper, the itty bitty light switches.

Remember in the Incredible Shrinking Woman when she lived in the dollhouse?  Or was that a Barbie house?  Whatever it was, I thought it was awesome!  {Please tell me you remember that movie!  I'm sure if I watched it now, it would be totally lame, but in my mind, it's one of the greatest movies of all time.}

I've always had a thing for miniature things, and doll houses bring everything miniature you could think of under one roof.  {ha!}  My bestie and I have some dollhouse related memories of a girl we used to play with.  She had the biggest dollhouse I'd ever seen, and got so upset when you'd move things around.  Or, when you'd take the dad doll and put him on the toilet reading a newspaper.  She didn't like that either.

My dad and I started building a dollhouse once, but it was never completed.  My parents split up and it still sits in its box just like we left it.  It's in my basement now, and I think someday, if I ever have a daughter {or maybe even if I don't} I'll put it together.  Maybe my dad can help finish it.  That would make me happy. 

So, tell me, did you have a dollhouse growing up?  If not, did you want one, or was it just me?

4 comments:

  1. The Incredible Shrinking Woman IS one of the greatest movies of all time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents made our sister and I a dollhouse for Christmas one year. I must've been 3 or 4, but it's one of my most vivid memories. It was just a box with rooms inside (no outside decor or roof), but it was carpeted and wallpapered, and we thought that was very cool. It was too large to move, and it was set in a corner, so the unfinished outside didn't bother us, and when we got to Barbie age, we used the flat roof to set up a mall where they could shop (my great-grandma made Barbie clothes, so we had more than enough!) Great memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the memories! loved that dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't too much into dollhouses growing up but now I love them! I'm obsessed with their tiny furniture :)

    ReplyDelete