Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Joy...

via on Pinterest

This year, our small group decided to adopt a family for Christmas.  We were given a family of four and each couple took one family member to buy for.  We chose the boy.  He's 8 years old and loves video games and books.

In all actuality it was Jon who chose the boy.  He came down the stairs after reading email and told me that he thought we should pick the boy, and that he already knew exactly what to get.  The excitement in his eyes was almost too much.  I love my husband.  {And yes, I'm tearing up writing this.}

We were given a limit on spending, which was probably a good thing, because I wanted to buy everything for this kid.  I keep picturing him opening his gifts on Christmas morning, and my heart swells.  I wish I could see his face, but I'll just have to imagine it. 

This weekend my pastor talked about joy.  About that feeling you get when you give freely to others.  I'm not sure there's a better feeling in the world.  It truly is better to give than to receive. 

Last night we got together with our small group and shared what we had all purchased for the family.  It was amazing to see what we pulled together.  We wrapped up the gifts for Mom and Dad, so they could be surprised and sent wrapping paper for the kid's presents so their parents could enjoy wrapping them.  We put it all in a big black trash bag and tied it up like Santa's bag to pass off.  It was awesome.

I'd encourage you to do this if you can.  Get together with some friends or co-workers and adopt a family.  It's seriously so fun, and so rewarding, and you'll be able to make someone's Christmas a little brighter! 

You can find family through the Salvation Army.
Or check with your church to see if they have families in need as well.


Have you ever adopted a family for Christmas?  

p.s. the ladies at E-Mealz wanted me to tell you about their promocode.  Enter KITCHENELVES to receive a new subscription or holiday menu discount! 

1 comment:

  1. This is such an amazing act Jen!!
    I've always wanted to adopt a family for a holiday and it never came out. Your story is so inspiring for me to go and actually do it this year!

    ReplyDelete