I want to tell you more about the 31 before 31 Challenge that I completed on Friday.
In case you're new, or if you missed it, I set out on June 1st to work out ever day for 31 days before my 31st birthday. I went to Boot Camp on Tues and Thurs mornings, and ran a minimum of 2 miles every other day. {This was inspired by Jodi Kendall's 30 day Bikram Yoga Challenge.}
The following is a list of things I learned about myself. I am not an expert, and I'm sure it's different for everybody. I'd encourage you to experiment with different motivators and find what works for you.
What I learned {or re-learned} from working out 31 days straight:
1. I am capable of much more than I give myself credit for most of the time.
2. It was so much easier having decided how and when I was working out. The decision was already made, so I couldn't talk myself out of it. I'm going to implement this tactic going forward.
3. Getting up early and getting my exercise in first thing is so worth it. I get really grouchy when I know I have to come home and do it. This only happened once or twice, and then I caught on.
4. Having someone holding you accountable really does help. There were mornings that I thought about sleeping in, but knowing that I'd have to fess up to you guys got me up and going.
5. No matter how bad a workout sucks {and by sucks I mean, hurts, isn't what I had planned, and generally makes me feel like I'm gonna cry} I never regret doing it. Not once.
6. Rest days are important. I definitely feel stronger, but I also felt tired! My body was so ready for a rest, and rest I did! {I took the last three days off.}
7. I'm all about short term goals. Having something to work toward keeps me motivated.
I'll be up and running again bright and early tomorrow morning! My plan for July is to start incorporating weights into my routine. 2 days weights, 2 days boot camp, and 2 days running with one rest day. I'm stoked to see what adding the weights will do, and I'm so excited to have a rest day!
All in all I'm really glad I did this challenge. I'm headed into my 31st year with a solid habit of working out every morning, and that is really what I wanted to establish. :) Yay, exercise!
Do you work out? What's your favorite activity? Morning or evening?
***Update- Just calculated that I ran 47 miles throughout the challenge. That's pretty rad. ;)
Nice! Following through with a goal is always so rewarding. :D I need to take a leaf from your book and workout more.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the picture!!!!! So true :)
ReplyDeleteSounds really interesting! <3