Thursday, July 7, 2011
Dreams Versus Goals - How Their Differences Make Them Similar {A Guest Post by Ashley from After Nine to Five}
For a long time I considered myself goal-oriented. I thought I had enough goals that would get me through the end of time. Things like wanting to move someplace warm, working for myself, or finish college with at least a Bachelor's Degree to my name were my long-term goals that always stuck with me. But after a while, I realized my so-called "goals" were nothing more than dreams.
Some would say they are interchangeable - that they are both an objective that you hope to reach at some point in time. But over time, I realized there was a fine line for me. Goals had action plans attached to them. I had a clearly defined path of achieving it and steps to ensure I stayed on track to the best of my ability. My dreams were just that - thoughts of things I hoped to some day do, but had no idea of when or where. They brought me away from reality when I needed a break, but never did much more.
As soon as I realized the difference, I made a lot of my dreams into my goals. I plotted out my journey to move to someplace with a warmer climate and the courses I needed to take to obtain that degree. I marked milestones that I reached along the way to remind myself of the end goal and that it was no longer something I just dreamt about. And while these two goals have yet to be marked as complete, I did something monumental for myself. I made the dream of working for myself become a goal with a clearly lit path, just waiting for me to find the open door. I found it when I was ready with the help of many small goals along the way and can proudly say that I did it: I made a dream into my reality.
For me, my dreams will never be accomplished unless they turn into a goal. Unless they become that well-defined, thought out objective that I intend to follow from start to finish to see it through. So I'm sure to keep plenty of both goals and dreams - short-term and long-term. The goals keep me busy, leaving something to strive for and something I'm yearned to complete. But the dreams leave me wanting more from a world that I can't seem to get enough of.
**************************************************************************************************************************
Jen here...I just wanted to say, that I love this way of looking at things! Really, the only way to make your dreams a reality is to turn them into goals....totally makes sense!
Ashley and I stumbled on each other through the blogging network, and became fast friends. I'm so lucky to call this lovely lady my friend. Thanks so much, Ashley!
And readers, please go show Ashley some love:
Read her amazing blog.
Browse through her adorable shop. {I dare you not to find something you want!}
Follow her on twitter.
Labels:
goals,
guest post
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


yep, i need to make a list of some goals...great post! ;) {& love your blog!}
ReplyDeleteSo true!! Goals have action plans - and if they're written down, I think you're more likely to achieve them :)
ReplyDeleteSo I'm following AP over here and love your blog! (And your post too AP!)
ReplyDeleteI'm such a list-maker and definitely need to take some of those dreams to the list instead of leaving them floating in my head!